Ever heard those catchy sayings surrounding the topic of SELF CARE like, "You can't pour from an empty cup" ...........Or, "You can't help others until you first, help yourself"
I can wholeheartedly attest to the lack of self care a business owner does to themselves - I'm walking proof of that. I feel like as a small business owner, self care becomes even harder to maintain because you are working on + in something that you created yourself, and that makes it harder to step away from, even for a little bit. Your heart is in this more so than it would be if you just were "working for the man".
It took me a couple of years before I realized that I would sit - hunkered down - staring at my computer screen - happily mind you - for hours - without getting up. When I finally glanced toward the clock, I'd gasp....have I been sitting for 3 hours!? The answer was yes.
I feel as though I hear it said time and time again - health is so easily ignored until it suddenly becomes not so in-tact. A primeeeee example would be my terrifying health scare of 2016 that rocked my world, you can read all about that via this Instagram post.
About a year ago, my husband and I both got ourselves a Fitbit. Nothing fancy, just their simple Alta version. Wes is far more into those things than I am - and he has since upgraded to an Apple Watch. Admittedly, at first, I wasn't too interested in this whole Fitbit lifestyle. "It looks like something from Star Trek, I don't want to wear that crap!" might have been said by me more than once.
However, after wearing and using my Fitbit for just a few months, I quickly realized how having this Star Trek device on my wrist was helping me in a positive way. Those little top-of-the-hour buzzes that remind you "Let's go for a walk!", or "Go for 75 steps!!" have been and continue to be, so so good for me. I'm no longer sitting in my desk chair for several hours at a time. I'm way more self aware of much needed breaks - even if it's just "go for 75 steps!" that I hop up for, walk it out, and come right back. The point is, I'm giving myself a dose of self care every hour of the day.
As a business owner, and as a photographer - I know for a fact that this has made me better at being both of those things because, like I started out saying - I'm now pouring from a full cup! I can take care of my couples and my clients in a better way, I can be more joyful with them, I can edit their images with more enthusiasm, I can answer their emails more excitedly, the list goes on!
If you're struggling with self care, or just know that you're spending way too much time in your desk chair, I totally encourage you to invest in a simple Fitbit! It's easy to let hours pass without even being aware of it, but those little buzzes from your wrist-wear will make such a difference!
A few other tips for self care:
- 1. // MUSIC // having music in the background is huge for me - regardless of the type, it's such a positivity inducing thing. If it's upbeat at all - let yourself dance in your chair a little. Trust me, it's good for the soul!
- 2. // CUDDLE YOUR PET // first off, if you don't have a pet, get one bro. Secondly, remind yourself throughout the day to go give them a little cuddle. They'll appreciate it as much as you do!
- 3. // LOOK OUT YA WINDOW // seems basic right? I don't mean just glance, man. I mean, LOOK. Take a few minutes to just stare out your window and practice some mindfulness.
- 4. // LAUGH! // whether it's a daily comic strip reading break, or a quick trip to the funny section of Pinterest - we all know laughing is good for you!
- 5. // CANDLES // this might not be for everyone, but I love loveeee having a candle glowing in my workspace. The combo of a good soft smell, combined with the vibe that a burning candle gives off is beyond relaxing and good for me! It might be good for you, too!
Also - major bonus points if it is a CRACKLE CANDLE. If you can handle that flickering / crackling sound....oh man, that's even more relaxing in my opinion!